Community Connections Issue 73 November 2019
In this Issue:
- About Us
- Volunteer Centre Updates
- Educational Sessions
- Interesting Volunteer Opportunities
- Community Events
Sooke Region Volunteer Centre helps connect people with volunteer opportunities in the Sooke Region. We believe that volunteering is a pillar in everyone's life. Our mission is to inspire people to volunteer. Please contact us and become a volunteer! Check our Facebook Page at Sooke Region Volunteers or our website. We have a list of organizations looking for volunteers. Drop by our office, we would love to know what you would like to do as a volunteer, what skills you have and what your background is. We can refer you to a compatible organization in our region. It is easy and time efficient. You can volunteer once, only during summer time or all year round. You decide how much time you can dedicate. Please do not wait. Give us a call. Our office hours are: Tuesdays and Thursdays: 12.30-4.30PM and Wednesdays 9.00-12.00 and our phone number is: 250-642-6364 Ext 235
Volunteer Centre Updates
- Do you know that we have a wide selection of information on Financial Assistance, Housing, Legal Resources, Meals, Medical Equipment & Supplies, Safety and Security or Support Groups? Please come to discover it. We will be happy to give you the support you need.
- Our new pamphlets for the resource centre and the volunteer centre are almost ready.
- We are excited to have begun new programs for seniors. Check our facebook page for more info.
- We also have "Where to find help in Sooke pamphlet" ready. It was currently updated and ready to pick up in our office.
Interesting Volunteer Opportunities
If you are interested in volunteering, but you are not sure what opportunites are available please check our website or give us a call. We will be happy to meet with you and based on your skills, interests and experience we will match you with the best volunteer opportunity in our community.
We have an updated list of community events on our website. Our volunteers are keeping their ears and eyes open for any new event happening in our community so please check it often.
We have new programs for seniors called the New Horizon Program, which includes opportunities for home visits, check-ins, community events, pet visitors, and more. We also have received new grant and will be able to offer more programs for seniors soon. We are planning to have light housekeeping, transportation for shopping, yard work and light repair program. This program is founded by Provincial Government and managed by the United Way. We will be happy to share more details soon. For the general information about this program please visit their webiste at www.betterathome.ca